Monday, April 1, 2013

Where to Start? The begining I guess.

So, here we are. My first official blog. I am exited and nervous because this is the beginning of a journey I have been putting off for a long time. You see, I am a writer who has been avoiding the pen and paper for almost 2 whole years now. I know. What's wrong with me? All my fellow writers are always putting pen to paper, telling incredible stories, and constantly improving the art form they love and are so passionate about. Me, well, maybe I should start with who I am. Simple, my name is Anthony Robinson and I am a long time resident of Greensboro North Carolina. I graduated from Dudley High School, and attended a few years of college, but never finished. I have worked numerous jobs here in the city but never truly felt as if any of them were the type of jobs I could see myself retiring from or even working for more than five years. Most of my life I dreamed of travel, but never really took off on the adventure I wanted because I could never save enough money to do it (or so I thought). About 2005 I met a young lady from another country through a mutual friend and before I knew it I was off to Brasil for my first adventure (careful what you ask for). I figured out very quickly that maybe I wasn't ready for travel...with a girlfriend. Maybe it was all the beautiful exotic women of Rio, or maybe it was the heat, actually it was more like I was still a bit of a single guy trying to be in a relationship, whatever it was should have been a big sign that I was not ready to give up my single life. Signs, they are everywhere. Anyway, lets just say although the trip was great, there were still some things I would have done differently at the end to make it better for my girlfriend at the time. I know you are wondering what happened and I will tell you...eventually, but for now my story moves on. After returning to the States from my Brasil trip I was positive that I could sit still no longer...wanderlust was heading towards full tilt. So about 2 weeks after I returned I was giving notice to my job and trying to figure out what the next move would be to get me the hell off this continent. Now, back to the writer in me. The point of all the previous rambling is to show you how easy it can be to get distracted. Yeah, I had a point if you didn't know. My life has been full of these different distractions that even I in all my 37 years couldn't notice. I have always thought that I was just flexible and could just always find a new direction, but truth is, I just always abandoned my goals and kept straying farther away from where I wanted to be. I would always return to writing and immediately noticed each time how therapeutic and natural it felt, but low and behold I would always allow myself to be distracted. One thing I have learned over the years is we will always have things or areas in our lives that we wish we had more of or could be better at, and watching the people around us makes our shortcomings stand out even more. It is up to us as individuals to say "hey I can always work on those things", but don't think for a second that changing your direction is the way to fix you. Stick to the path you chose because normally it is the right one. The grass is never greener and chances are if your friend, family member, or significant other is good at something you will not be as good (without a ton of work and perseverance) and you are setting yourself up for some frustration. My real reason for writing this is truthfully to keep myself on the path I have set for myself (writing). It is the first of many steps that I feel I need to take to flex my writing muscles. Partially this is a writing exercise, but it is also a way for me to open up and put myself out there (Hence the title)  So please stop by, read, comment, criticize, or curse at me because this advice is just as much for me as any person that chooses to read this, and if you have made it this far...Thank you and please come back!

Anthony

No comments:

Post a Comment